The “responsible party”, as referred to in the Protection of Personal Information Act No. 4 of 2013 (“POPI”) is TechSmart.co.za, Johannesburg, Gauteng. You may direct your queries in regard to the protection of personal information to Michael @ techsmart dot co dot za.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our website – www.techsmart.co.za. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site in future, responding to content on social media, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion on our website, or when you report a problem with our site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of any transactions you carry out through our site today or into the future.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers and business partners. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a “cookie file” which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. “Cookies” refers to information that is sent from our website to your hard drive where it is saved and contains information to personalise your experience on our website. In this way, the next time you use our website, We will know who you are and that you have visited our website before. They help Us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They also enable Us:
To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
To speed up your searches.
To feedback general information about advertising campaigns to companies which place advertising or promoted content with us.
Personal information held by or disclosed by you to a third party
Where we store your personal data
The data we collect from you and any data that might be transferred to a third party outside of the Republic of South Africa shall only be to such third party who is subject to a law, binding corporate rules (as defined in POPI) or binding agreement (as defined in POPI) which provides an adequate level of protection that:
All information you provide to us is stored securely on Our secure servers. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, We cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, We will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you may be interested in, or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and u
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, unless you have specifically indicated by written agreement that you are happy for us to do so, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our readers (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in Germiston, Gauteng). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information as defined in Section 1 to 3 of the South African Companies Act No. 71 of 2008.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets if required to do so.
If TechSmart.co.za or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about our readers, advertisers and suppliers will be one of the transferred assets.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at Michael @ techsmart dot co dot za.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
You can correct factual errors, review and/or update information held about you at any time by contacting us at the following email address: Michael @ techsmart dot co dot za.
Any access request may be subject to certain specifications etc.