TechSmart Business News sponsored by:
In today’s world of hybrid cloud environments, meeting the workload needs of the modern business requires a deep understanding of customer needs and an innovative spirit. HPE has a strong reputation for delivering solutions to the market that are rooted in practical innovation.
At SuperComputing 2019, the HPE ProLiant DL325 and DL385 Gen10 Plus servers will be exhibited. These platforms HPE ProLiant Gen10 Plus-blog.jpgrepresent a complete system redesign that leverages all the capabilities of the 2nd Generation AMD EPYC Processor to meet the needs of the modern business.
Keep 5 workload types top of mind
The rich balance of features in the HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 Plus and HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus servers makes them ideal for supporting the vast majority of workloads and applications in the hybrid IT data center. Specifically, the HPE ProLiant Gen10 Plus servers supported by the 2nd Generation AMD EPYC processors deliver significantly improved workload-optimized performance—with 64 processor cores operating at up to 3.4 GHz, 9% memory speed improvement operating at up to 3200 MT/s, PCIe 4 offering double the I/O bandwidth, and 2.4x greater storage capacity over previous generations. However, we optimized these new breakthrough servers for these five workloads in particular.
1. Virtualized Infrastructure: Virtualization drives server resource utilization up and operational costs down, making virtualization performance a key measure of cloud and data center effectiveness and efficiency. High core count processors coupled with high speed, high capacity memory make the HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 Plus and HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus servers the perfect cornerstone to virtualized environments maximizing VM density. The HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 Plus server is perfect for organizations with a TCO first mindset, because it delivers 2P performance and cuts the “per socket” tax of virtualization software in half. Additionally, recent testing found that the HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 Plus platform scored 87% better in performance and 36% better in price performance than the previous 1P virtualization world record holder.*
2. High-Performance Computing (HPC): High-performance computing is being used to foster innovation across a breadth of industries, unlocking new discoveries in science and engineering, as well bolstering time to insights for commercial use across manufacturing, banking and finance, and more. Some HPC applications require the raw horsepower of high performance compute cores, while others rely on memory capacity and throughput. Yet other applications look to acceleration from specialized silicon (ASICs) and GPUs. With high core count processors operating at high frequencies, high speed, high capacity memory, and high bandwidth/low latency access to PCIe 4 accelerators and high-speed interconnects, the HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus server unlocks a whole new level of high-performance computing applications.
3. Big Data Analytics: Today’s data driven enterprises need to store, access, and analyze massive amounts of structured and unstructured data to accelerate business insights for real-time decision making. Big data environments crave lots of high-performance cores attached to massive memory footprints connected by a lot of memory channels. The HPE ProLiant DL325 and HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus are modular compute and storage building blocks respectively, within the HPE Elastic Platform for Analytics, enabling rapid deployment, efficient scalability, and secure management of Big Data workloads.
4. Software-Defined Storage: Virtualization extended to storage in the form of software-defined storage is being used to improve the efficiency and economics of IT operations through ease of scalability, management, and lower costs. Workloads being run in a software-defined storage environment benefit from higher frequency processors, increased memory capacity, and greater I/O bandwidth, as well as the ability to scale storage quickly and cost effectively as data volumes expand. The HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 Plus server is the ideal platform for software-defined storage environments and workloads such as hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI). Its predecessor, the HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10, delivered amazing results in VMware’s VMmark 3.1 benchmark—a benchmark that simulates real-world performance. The enhancements we’ve made to the HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 Plus server will significantly improve the VMmark results. The HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus provides maximum capacity and versatility for software-defined storage workloads with support for up to 32 NVMe SSDs.
5. Telecommunications/Network Function Virtualization (NFV): With the emergence of 5G and the growth of edge computing, a corresponding explosion in data further strains the limits of the legacy networks that support many telecommunications providers. High speed CPU cores with low-latency connectivity are keys to routing voice, data, and video over 5G networks. The HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus server delivers like no other server on the market as it supports the richest memory configurations and network interface cards and accelerators connected over PCIe 4 to minimize latency.
The right choice for the workloads driving today’s modern business
The HPE ProLiant Gen10 Plus servers build upon the world-record-setting performance delivered by the HPE ProLiant Gen10 servers based upon the 2nd Generation AMD EPYC processors. We designed them to fully take advantage of the 2nd Generation AMD EPYC processor for the workloads that drive today’s modern business.
If you haven't yet taken a more in-depth look at the HPE family of AMD based servers, now is the time to begin your evaluation.