MTN reduces its mobile data bundle ratesBy Staff Writer 4 March 2013 | Categories: news
MTN South Africa has announced a welcome reduction on its internet price plans and bundle rates, enabling its customers to connect to the world wide web at more affordable rates.
Serame Taukobong, chief marketing officer at MTN SA stated that an MTN subscriber can now pay R79 for the MTN 1 GB package, which has been reduced from R289 (with a device) per month. A SIM-only contract without a device is available for even less at R69 per month or 5c per megabyte for clients looking to upgrade with their own device.
With the new prepaid internet bundle rates, MTN customers will receive the following benefits:
- MTN prepaid customers will receive 10 MB free when they purchase a 10 MB internet bundle for only R10.
- Customers will also get a further 25 MB of internet connectivity free of charge when they purchase a 75 MB internet bundle for only R29, reduced by R20 from the previous R49 rate.
- The 300 MB internet bundle has been reduced by a notable R70 and will now cost MTN customers only R79 to load.
- The 500 MB internet bundle has also been slashed by R70 and now costs only R119 to purchase.
- MTN’s 1 GB internet bundle has been significantly reduced by R140 and will now sell for only R149.
- The 2 GB internet bundle has been slashed by R144 and now costs R245.
MTN’s contract customers will also benefit from the operator’s reduction of internet connectivity price plans. As of 1 March:
- Customers will pay only R49 for 500 MB on a monthly basis.
- The 1 GB price plan has been reduced from R99 to only R79 per month.
- The 1 GB TopUp plan will only cost R99, reduced from R129 every month.
- The 2 GB plan has been slashed from R139 to R119 each month.
- The 2 GB TopUp plan is no longer R189 and sells for R149 monthly.
Prepaid customers can purchase a recharge data voucher for any of the listed internet bundles at various retail outlets and load it on their handsets, without having to convert their airtime by dialing *141*RechargeCode#. By dialing *141*2#, customers have access to a consolidated menu of the various internet bundle packages, which they can purchase through the service.
Via MTN’s Eazi Recharge solution, subscribers can buy any MTN internet bundle for themselves or any other MTN number using their debit or credit card (Absa, Standard Bank and Nedbank) by dialing *141*10#.
Alternatively, customers can use MTN’s Me2U service to transfer bundles to other MTN numbers by calling *141*3#. Smartphone and tablet users can recharge their accounts by way of the myMTNza app, which is downloadable both Apple’s App Store as well as Google Play.
“The reduction of our internet price plans and bundle rates does not only bode well for MTN customers in general, but also to our Blackberry customer base,” said Taukobong. “The new rates offer an affordable and convenient alternative for customers who deplete their Blackberry Absolute and Blackberry Tiered Services bundle allocation to continue enjoying the benefits that come with owning a Blackberry handset.”
“Inherently, we are enabling our customers, who come from different walks of life with diverse needs and demands, to be part of the growing digital community without being limited by cost and quality of service,” he concluded.
In related news, MTN also recently revealed that as of 1 March 2013, the R59 BlackBerry BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) package on its network will be replaced by BlackBerry Absolute.
Most Read Articles
Have Your Say
What new tech or developments are you most anticipating this year?