Tips to keep your tech gear clean - LenovoBy Staff Writer 20 May 2020 | Categories: news
As South Africa prepares to move to level three of our lockdown, the importance of personal hygiene will again be of top priority. However, a key aspect which is often forgotten, is that our personal hygiene extends far beyond our own bodies but also encompasses the items we use on a daily basis.
With many South Africans now working remotely, one of the most crucial aspects of practicing good personal hygiene is ensuring that the devices used on a day-to-day basis for work, such as notebooks and smartphones, are thoroughly cleansed and looked after as much as your hands are. UNICEF (The
United Nations Children Fund) has also highlighted the importance of cleansing and disinfecting these high-touch surfaces using the following protocol:
- If a high-touch surface is dirty, first clean it with soap, or a detergent and water
- Use a disinfectant product containing alcohol (at least 70%) to wipe down your device with
- Ensure you leave your cleaning solution on your device for several minutes before wiping it off. This will give the solution enough time to ‘soak’ and effectively remove any existing germs from your device
- Always read the directions to make sure you’re using the products as recommended to avoid damaging your sensitive electronic devices
- Another solution would be to use wipe-able covers for your notebooks and other electronic devices, as this will make the cleaning process much simpler and time-effective.
In addition to these guidelines, Lenovo has also come up with some simple yet effective steps on how you can easily keep your devices clean to ensure optimal personal hygiene;
- Remove and debris (crumbs, dust particles, etc.) from your device by gently turning it upside down or using compressed air
- Apply a cleaning agent* to a lint free towel or cloth
- Wring excess liquid out of your towel/ cloth to avoid damage to your device
- Thoroughly wipe down all surfaces of your device, and subsequently allow to dry for the specified time on the cleaning agent label
- Wipe off any remaining residue or liquid from the surface of your device.
*Recommended: Isopropyl alcohol DO NOT use chlorine or bleach
Most Read Articles
Have Your Say
What new tech or developments are you most anticipating this year?