By 21 September 2009 | Categories: news


Nokia has been named the world’s most sustainable technology company. This according to the 2009-10 edition of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes that was released today. In the past Nokia has been voted as the leader within the Europe and Communications categories, but this year is the first year the Finnish company has been chosen as “World Technology Supersector Leader” making it number one across the entire global technology sector.

The Dow Jones Indexes are globally respected rankings of how well the world’s leading corporations are integrating sustainability into their businesses. Selecting components from 2,500 companies in over 50 countries, the indexes are relied upon by leading institutional investors.

Earlier this year Nokia’s long standing commitment to environmental action was recognised at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona where the company received the GSMA\'s first award for Outstanding Environmental Contribution. In August, Nokia was also chosen as India’s “Green Company of the Year” in the 10th Annual Voice and Data 100 Awards.

Here in South Africa Nokia is also doing their part for the environment, with a total of 35 collection points for the recycling of cellphones. About 80% of a phone can be recycled, while Nokia disposes of the remaining 20% according to ISO standards, leading to 0% wastage.

For more information on Nokia’s collection points visit or phone 086-1166-542.


Magazine Online is South Africa's leading magazine for tech product reviews, tech news, videos, tech specs and gadgets.
Start reading now >
Download latest issue

Have Your Say

What are your plans for the holiday season?
A beach, working on my suntan and relaxing (3 votes)
Working through my gaming backlog (1 votes)
Having a staycation and catching up with all the things that need to be done in my house or apartment (1 votes)
Travelling internationally (1 votes)
Spending time with friends and family (2 votes)
Holiday? What's that? I'm working throughout (4 votes)
Getting reacquainted with my bed, sleeping late and binging Netflix (2 votes)